Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Children make the world go 'round.

Today at work a little girl named Crystal, probably 4 or 5, told me I was pretty! It was so cute. And it was SO much more flattering hearing that from a little girl than it is hearing it from the 45- or 60-something-year-olds that I get hit on by every day. Not trying to toot my own horn or think my poo don't stink or something, because I'm sure the guys that hit on me hit on every other female with even a hint of femininity in their appearance. It just gets annoying! It's to the point where I don't feel the least bit flattered when old men hit on me. Or when Mexican guys hit on me. Or coworkers. Or anyone, really. I sometimes feel sort of rude the way I respond to it, and sometimes I feel bad about how I react to it, but sometimes it actually feels sort of degrading. And that's what bothers me.

I may or may not be being a little dramatic about the whole thing. Fact is, I know every girl will get hit on by guys wherever they work. It happens. To everyone. I get that. But for me, I feel like I'm in a little bit different situation. I work at a tool store, where about 90% of our clientele are males. On top of that, I work at a cheap tool store, so you can probably imagine the demographic of the majority of my customers. Low class, drunks, racists, veterans, druggies, government-assisted, Mexicans (not being racist, we get tons of Mexicans who take our cheap tools back to Mexico. TONS of them). So, a lot of them don't interact with people very professionally, or even considerately. It is hard to be patient with my customers. And it's even harder to maintain a polite demeanor and bite my tongue when they make comments about my physical appearance. Let's just say, it's a good thing my momma don't work with me! She'd go all Lorena Bobbit on they a$$es! Joking. Well, not really. Lorena Bobbit is my mom's hero. Oops, tangent.

Anyway, this little girl made my day. It was an honest, innocent compliment, that meant so much more to me than the other bullcrap I hear every day. I told her she was pretty also, and we had a perfect little conversation after that. I explained to her what a debit card was. Haha.

I LOVE KIDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment