Wednesday, August 31, 2011

GOOD DAYS.

Here's something I don't get.

I don't understand how someone's life is SO AWFUL and crappy that they have to post about it on Facebook every other day?? Their status will say, "omg I'm having the worst day everrrr" one day and then 2 days later it'll say, "having a super bad day :( just want everyone to leave me alone." Like, wtf? Does your life really suck that bad? I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Because yeah, I have bad days too. There are days when I just don't feel like talking to anybody or going anywhere. There are days when I just feel like crying. But after I really sit down and think about it, my life is really not that bad. Sure, I have things I could complain about. I have money issues just like everyone else. My car sucks, and barely runs. I've made some dumb decisions that have prevented me from spiritual progression. I'm "behind" in life as far as LDS standards go these days. I'm not married. I'm almost 23 and I'm not even close to getting my degree yet. I have boy problems. All my good friends are 400 miles away. I don't have cable.

BUT. My life is not that bad. I have a pretty good job, with pretty good health benefits. I have A car. I have some good coworkers who look out for me. I have a lot of options as far as school goes. I have good roommates with good standards. I have the church. I have the institute. I have my family. I have a laptop and Hulu. So really, I can't complain all too much. There are things that I wish were different. There were things I wish I could go back and do over. But I can't. And I've accepted that. And I'm accepting the consequences and moving forward. But even still. Those are MY problems. I'm taking care of them. So, even if I do have a bad day, why let people know about it? Why should I make it public that my day sucks?

I remember a lady teaching a class at EFY some time ago. I don't remember her name or what her class was about. But I remember her telling us to play the "Glad Game." She said that for every trial we go through, whether it be life-changing or something minute, find something good about it and be glad about it, and thankful for it. She said it would help us keep a positive perspective and focus on being happy. That was over 5 years ago, and still, every time something happens I try to play the "Glad Game" in my head. Take all my 27 car accidents for example. I remember my first car accident. I was driving my parents' car, and some dummy hit me in Cienega's parking lot and totaled it. I'd never been in an accident before, so I was frozen. Frozen with fear and anxiety mostly. Fear that my parents would kill me. Anxious that I wouldn't have the balls to stand up to the dumb kid. But thankfully, Shane was there to yell at the dumb kid for me. Thankfully, my parents weren't mad at me. Thankfully, I didn't get hurt. And I was glad for that. That was a sucky, sucky day. But I was glad it wasn't worse than it was. And it easily could've been. Thank goodness for that Glad Game.

I just don't understand how people, especially people my age, can have such sucky crappy lives. Makes me wonder what makes it SO BAD. I guess either they're really dramatic, or they really want sympathy. Either way, I guess I don't know their situation so I can't really say anything. But I can say that I haven't had a super terrible day in a long time, and I'm grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. Caitlin, thanks. First of all, this made me laugh out loud....in the public library. Second of all, I think that is a really good idea, and I am glad you shared it with me. And, even though I am 1400 miles away, if you need anything, you have a sister who would do anything for you. :) Aww.

    ReplyDelete