Sunday, July 31, 2011

Music.

I was reading a girl's blog a little while ago, and she had a little blog outline, where every day she would write a post about something different. Like, one day was posting pictures of your friends, one day was writing 25 random things about you. It had I think 30 different things to write about, so a month's worth, but she didn't keep up with it so I don't know what the last 2 weeks' posts were supposed to be about. Ha. The last one she posted was about music, and what songs she listens to when she is in certain moods. And I thought that would be fun, because Jael says I have a very diverse taste in music. And I agree. And I do listen to certain types of music when I'm in certain moods. Here is a general idea of my music-listening habits:

When I'm happy: Country seems to be my happy music lately. I didn't get introduced to country until fairly recently, so I mostly listen to modern country. I'm not the biggest fan of older, super-twangy country. But country music is the perfect music to listen to when I'm in a good mood, and driving. It's the crank-it-up, roll-the-windows-down, sing-as-loud-as-you-can music. Some of my favorites are Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Blake Shelton, Tay Tay Swift, Sugarland, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, etc etc etc.

When I'm mad: I was discussing this with Jael while we were driving recently, and Mr. Brightside by The Killers is my angry song. It always has been. When I'm mad, I turn that song up, head bang, and just yell to that song. I don't know how it became my angry song, but for some reason it makes me feel better when I am angry.

When I'm frustrated: Rap (and some hip-hop) is my go-to music when I am frustrated. My two favorites are probably What's Your Fantasy and Money Maker, both by Ludacris. I know it's not the most appropriate music, probably not appropriate at all, but I know just about every single word to both of those songs. In fact, I listened to them on the way home from work yesterday. Yesterday was one of the most frustrating days I've had at work in a very long time, and rapping those songs to myself always makes me laugh in the end. I also like listening to Lupe Fiasco, Gym Class Heroes, Jeremih, 50 cent, Wyclef Jean, etc. It's a good thing I'm happy/content more times than I am frustrated, because I understand that this is not very clean music to listen to. Haha.

When I'm nostalgic: A lot of people know that I love to talk about my childhood. My best and favorite stories are about growing up. So, naturally, I get very excited when I hear a song that I used to listen to religiously when I was younger. For example, when I hear the song "Angel" by Shaggy, it reminds me of an experience I had in 6th grade, when that song came out, that I will never ever forget. Or, the other day, Jael and I were walking through an outdoor strip mall, and a BSB song came on. We started jamming out, of course. I also love the songs from Britney Spears' first couple albums, N'Sync, Disney songs, Christina Aguilera, Blink 182, etc. AND, I love hearing songs like the Electric Slide or other songs that remind me of stake dances, old hula songs, stuff like that. Gooood times.

When I'm content: When I'm just kind of content with life, I love listening to alternative, indie, pop, that kind of music. I don't like that classification of music because it is confusing to me sometimes. Sometimes I don't know what genre certain artists would fit into, or what "indie"or "alternative" even means. But when I just feel like listening to good music, I listen to artists like Plain White Tee's, Colbie Caillat, Jason Mraz, Hellogoodbye, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Lauryn Hill, John Legend, Michael Fronte, and other chill, lay-in-a-hammock-type music.


Something to keep in mind, though, is that I name all these artists I love, but most of them I only know a few of their songs. I hate the question, "What is your favorite band or artist?" because I'm not a die-hard fan of anyone, really. I listen to their songs, and if I like it I'll listen to it, occasionally buy it. But I don't buy CD's because I usually have a hard time sitting through a whole album, because I know that there will be songs I don't like. When I was younger, my first and favorite CD was NOW4. It had a bunch of music from a bunch of artists. I loved it. But I've acquired a pretty diverse taste in music. And I like that. People always ask me what kind of music I listen to, and I can literally listen to any kind of music. Well, except rip-my-hair-out screamo. And annoying techno crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment