Saturday, June 25, 2011

I can't wait to get old.

I meet some pretty interesting people at work. Most are the undelightful kind of interesting. You know, the smelly, dirty, hairy, perverted kind. I meet tons of those people every day. Those people don't really tickle my fancy, so I kind of get them what they need and move one. I work in customer service, so naturally I spend my day talking to people and meeting people. When I'm on my register I usually ring up customers' merchandise pretty quickly, make the typical small talk, and then tell them to have a nice day and send them on their way. But sometimes I'll have an actual conversation with people, get to know them a little bit. Sometimes I meet people who have the coolest stories, or life. For example, at my store in Tucson, I once was ringing up a guy who was buying two of everything. I just asked him, "you like the number two or what?" He said, "ha, no, I am buying things my home in the states and my home in Costa Rica." I said, "you have a home in Costa Rica?" He told me how he stays in his house in Costa Rica for half the year, and in the states the other half of the year. He said his house in Costa Rica is right on the beach, and he hangs out on the beach all day and sleeps in his hammock. And I thought, how cool are you. Here he is, this 60 or 70 year old man, and he spends half his life in Costa Rica! I asked if he had kids, and he said they come visit him all the time. I asked if he's retired. He said, "I'm retired from my career, but you have to have an income to live in Costa Rica. It's not cheap." So he has hobbies, but they're hobbies that make him money. So it's not like he's a bum living on the beach, he's a working bum. Don't get me wrong, living on the beach and not having to work would be bliss, but that's only stuff in the movies. After that man left I thought to myself, 'when I retire, I'm going to live on the beach in Costa Rica.' HA. Wouldn't that be something.

And then today, at my new store in Vegas, an older lady came in with her 6 or 7 year old granddaughter and tried to return something. I couldn't return it because she didn't have a receipt (store policy, not my rule). Well, she got mad at me and said, "well I'm not gonna get the other thing I was gonna get cuz I'm a little pissed off!" And stormed out of the store. About 2 minutes later she came back in, apologized to me, and said, "Sorry, my day is really hectic and I'm cranky. It's not the easiest thing getting ready for a 6 week camping trip." I said, "you're going camping for 6 weeks? Like, in an RV?" And she said, "no, my granddaughter and her grandparents are going to go camping in Oregon for 6 weeks. In tents." And I told her, "that is the coolest thing I've ever heard of." And she said, "yeah we're pretty excited." And then I said, "shoot, I want to go camping in Oregon for 6 weeks." She said, "become a math teacher, get old, and you can do whatever you want." Then I thought, if she's a math teacher and she's going on adventures like this, I can do it too. So, folks, that's what I'm gonna do. If you need to get ahold of me in say, 40 or 50 years, you can find me in a tent in the middle of Oregon. With my granddaughter. I'll probably be somewhere around the place that's in my picture down there. I CAN'T WAIT.



No comments:

Post a Comment